Festival Face Paint

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Wrap Up - Part I

Well as of now both Matt and I finish touring all around Alaska in the very near future.  I get back from my last tour Sunday night and Matt will be back from his last on Wednesday; it has been fun but we are definitely ready to be done for the season.  I figured since we are wrapping up all the summer traveling I should post some more of my pics that I have from throughout the season.  

**Disclaimer**
There is a good possibility I will switch into Tour Director mode and blab about random stuff.  Before continuing please prepare yourself for trivial and/or fun facts.  

 Hmm... where to start...?  Well at the beginning of the season the company takes all the new Tour Directors on what we call a Fam Tour.  This just means that they take us around to all the different places we will be staying in Alaska and allow us to go on all the different excursions and optional tours that are offered with the company; it's pretty much to familiarize yourself with everything you will be telling guests about all summer (hence, why they call it a fam tour. Familiarize, Fam...  you get it).  

Anyway!  They took us all around Alaska just for FUN!  I don't have pictures from everything we did but here are some that you haven't seen yet.  

We went on our Fam trip at the very beginning of the season and it just so happened to be one of the clearest days I have seen all year!  Everything was absolutely beautiful!  Not to mention we could see all of Denali and the whole Alaska range which is pretty rare up here.  Denali has this thing it does, because it is so much taller than all the mountains surrounding it, it can actually create some of its own weather.  Now don't think for a second I know how that works, all I know is it happens.  They gave us "Denali 30% Club" pins because only about 30% of the people who try actually see the mountain.  What can I say, we got lucky.  
 


This pictures is on our Jetboat tour.  It goes up and down the Susitna river in Talkeetna and, like I said, it was gorgeous and clear that day.  We had an awesome view.  


During the boat ride they stop at a place along the edge of the river where they have set up a native village type thing for people to look at.  This is called a cashe.  The Native Alaskans built these to put all there food storage in, they are way up in the air so the bears and other fun animals have a harder time breaking in.  


Next we went on a hike around a gorgeous lake.  This is also in Talkeetna.  It was very pretty there, everything had just turned green and it was awesome to get to be in the middle of all of it.  Our guide was what we like to call a Naturalist, he knew so much about all of the plants and animals and basically anything and everything you could possibly see on the trail.  He actually stopped quite often and showed us which plants we could eat.  I was not the biggest fan of eating who knows what from the middle of the woods, so I kindly declined the offer to pluck off and eat the tiny start of a flower from a plant covered in sharp spikes.  It was a fun hike though.  Lots of beauty that is for sure.


On the lake we saw a bird called a Loon, they like to hang out there a lot.  A funny thing about Loons is that they are really bad at flying.  If penguins are a bird that can't fly, these birds are next.  They are very good at diving though (one reason they can't fly very well, apparently your only allowed to have one thing your amazing at).  They are also really pretty; if your wondering what they look like go ahead and google it because I'm pretty sure I did not end up getting a picture of one, like 100% sure. 


Oh what the heck, I decided to save you some of the trouble and googled a picture for you!  
*These are my efforts of trying to site my sources.  Google - Images.

I do still have more pictures but I will leave those to be posted another time because, honestly, I am WAY tired!!  Good night world!  Stay tuned for Part II.  

No comments:

Post a Comment