Festival Face Paint

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Our Cooking Journey

So far in our Married life we have had some interesting experiences with cooking.  First of all our Oven is extremely old and has setting that I didn't even know existed (Maybe because they don't in anything that has been made in the last 10 or 15 years).  Because of this both Matt and I were cooking/baking in the dark and had our fair share of misfortunes.   Now thankfully, we have figured it out for the most part and it usually works out.

One of the major things that I always seem to forget about is that when you turn the oven on it has to be on the Preheat setting, but when you actually put food in it and want to cook it you have to change the setting.  This is a lovely example from before I knew about having to change the settings.  Yes, it is Pizza, but because of the Preheat setting the top got WAY more done than everything else, strangely it was not burned just very, very done.  


Another of the crazy cooking situations we have had was the fist time we tried to make Grilled Cheese.  Both Matt and I know how to make Grilled Cheese, but for some reason (I like to blame the bread) it did not work.  The bread ended up sticking to the pan, even though it was buttered, and the whole thing looked pathetic, and tasted pretty pathetic too.  

  
The sandwich was basically melting through his fingers, nothing was holding it together, it just kinda turned into slime.   Eww...

Thankfully, now we have figured out most of the tricks of the oven and it works for us pretty well.  That is unless I forget to turn it off of Preheat (which happens more often than I like to admit).  But we have also gotten good at saving food if that happens too.  

This is us after getting home from a long day on tour. We were really tired and hungry, all we wanted to do was eat and go to sleep.  Because they are fast and easy, we decided to risk it all and try those Grilled Cheese again.  It worked out perfectly!  (I credit it to the awesome bread that we had.)

Me, SUPER tired!!  

 Matt really liked his...  Also, he was really happy that it would stand up on it's own this time, unlike the failure of last time.


Overall, we have had some interesting experiences.  But that is what makes life fun and keeps us on our toes. We have since made tons of meals that have been delicious, the cookies have been pretty good too, that is if they even make it as far as the oven.  We are slowly getting more used to our Crazy apartment and all of it's little quirks that we have discovered since living here.  



1 comment:

  1. You guys are so cute! I am glad to hear you have things more under control now. I can't imagine too many things being bad to eat with how great a cook you are, even with the problems!

    ReplyDelete